Equality Information & Objectives
Publishing equality information and setting Equality Objectives is a requirement for all schools (and other public bodies) as part of the Equality Act 2010. Schools are free to choose the equality objective(s) that best suit them. The objectives should be related to what the schools are focussing on and be achievable.
Bitterne Manor Primary School recognises that the public sector equality duty has three aims, to:
• eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimizations and other conduct under the Act
• advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
• foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
We have considered how well we currently achieve these aims with regard to the protected groups under the Equality Act (race, gender, gender re-assignment, age, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, sexual orientation, religion and belief and sexual orientation).
In our considerations we involve staff, pupils, parents and others in the following ways:
• parent questionnaires and contact when appropriate
• consideration of the pupils’ views
Having referred to and analysed our equality information and pupil data, we have set the following objectives:
Bitterne Manor Primary School will be reviewing its provision for the most able pupils and ensuring they are challenged and extended.
To ensure we accelerate the progress of high attaining pupils in Key stage 1 and 2.
To further increase the achievement of vulnerable groups on FSM.
NOTE: The Equality Act 2010 (Specific Duties) Regulations 2011 require Governing Bodies to publish equality objective at interval of no more than four years but school should publish detail on progress towards these objectives on an annual basis and publish this detail on the schools internet site.