What are we learning about?
This topic will enable pupils to develop their problem solving and design skills. We will look at what transport is, different modes of transport, how these are used and what features they have. Pupils will consider what makes a good mode of transport and why. By applying their knowledge each child will invent their own vehicle. Children will have a better understanding of measurements and writing labels.
We will design, make and evaluate our own vehicles!
- Letters and Sounds Phase 3 and Phase 4 with a focus on reading words and sentences and being able to answer questions about a text.
- Writing labels and instructions.
- A focus on letter formation, writing all of the sounds in a word and sentence writing.
- Learning key and tricky words in our word pots.
- Exploring the text ‘Duck in the Truck’.
Daily Maths activities focusing on number recognition, ordering numbers and counting.
Language used for direction and position
Measuring distance using standard and non-standard units.
As well as developing the children’s English and Maths skills, we will provide a range of other activities, such as:
- Learning facts about transport and how things work to develop their understanding of the world.
- Fun PE opportunities to develop their physical skills, including multi-skills games.
- Creating different stations e.g bus, train, taxi outside for the children to act in different roles.
- Opportunities in the Art area to create vehicles using junk modelling.
How can you help?
- Ask your child which vehicles they can spot. How do they move? What are they used for?
- Please listen to your child read as often as possible and sign/leave a comment in the purple reading diary.
- Please continue to help your child to learn to read and write their words in their pot, we will check their spellings each Thursday and new words will be sent home when ready.