Here are some of the Year 1 Maths objectives (from the National Curriculum) that you could help your child with at home.
Number and place value
- Count to and from 100 from any given number.
- Count, read and write numbers to 100 in numerals; count in multiples of twos, fives and tens
- Find one more and one less than a given number
- Read and write numbers from 1-20 in numerals in words
Addition and Subtraction
- Use number bonds and related facts to 20.
- Add and subtract one and two digit numbers to 20 (including 0)
- Solve one step missing number problems (eg, 7 + ______ = 9).
Multiplication and Division
- Solve one step problems (eg, Joe gives 4 friends 2 sweets each. How many sweets does he give?) Children can draw these or use counters/cubes to find the answer.
- Recognise and find a half as one of two equal parts of an object, shape or quantity
- Recognise, find a quarter as one of four equal parts of an object, shape or quantity
- Recognise and name common 2D and 3D shapes
Position and Direction
- Describe position, direction and movement, including whole, half, quarter and three quarter turns