This half term we will begin by looking at shape, both 3D and 2D.
- I can draw 2-D shapes and make 3-D shapes using modelling materials. I can recognise 3-D shapes in different orientations.
- I can recognise angles a property of shape. I know that angles are a description of a turn.
- I can spot right angles. I know that two right angles make a half-turn, three make three quarters of a turn and four make a full turn. I can spot when angles are greater or less than a right angle.
- I can spot horizontal and vertical lines.
After this, we will then move onto time which links with their existing knowledge of fractions.
- I can tell the time on a clock face. I can do this if it uses Roman numerals from I to XII, and I can use 12-hour or 24-hour clocks.
- I can estimate and read the time to the nearest minute. I can record time in seconds, minutes and hours. I can use the words o’clock, a.m., p.m., morning, afternoon, noon and midnight.
- I can tell you the number of seconds in a minute and how many days there are in a month, a year, and a leap year.
- I can compare how much time is taken by different events or tasks.
Throughout both these topics we will be making opportunities and links back to the core skills of place value and the 4 operations. This is to ensure the children’s understanding of these fundamentals of Maths is strong and they can apply these skills and make connections to other topics within Maths.
We will be logging children onto TTRS (Times Table Rock Stars) in school but you can begin logging on at home too. Login details have been placed in children’s homework books.
We will begin our Maths journey by revisiting Place Value. This will help consolidate previous skills.
In particular, we will be focusing on:
- Reading and writing numbers and words to 100,
- Understanding the place value of 2 digit numbers,
- Jumping forwards and back in twos, threes, fives and tens,
- Representing numbers in a variety of ways, such as number lines and number squares,
- Compare and order numbers in 100,
- Using our number facts to answer questions and solve problems.