What are we learning about?
This is a fun topic in which children can explore a wide range of stories and songs such as ‘Goldilocks And The Three Bears’, ‘Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see?’, ‘We’re Going On A Bear Hunt’ and learn a Goldilocks rap! Pupils will take part in a variety of tasks which will offer them new experiences and build on their previous knowledge and skills.
We will begin learning letter names and sounds. The children will learn single letter sounds and begin to blend them to read simple words.
We will also be:
Following instructions to make sandwiches
Writing Invitations to our picnic
We will explore the text ‘We’re Going On A Bear Hunt’ by Michael Rosen, which the children will act out themselves, will they find a bear at the end?
We're going on a bear hunt by Michael Rosen
Daily calendar, focusing on order and dates for example learning the day of the week.
Daily number time to focus on counting, and recognition.
A focus on ordering numbers 1 – 10 or 1 – 20.
Learning to use comparative language such as ‘bigger’ and ‘biggest’ to compare the size of bears.
As well as developing the children’s English and Maths skills, we will provide a range of other activities, such as:
- Learning facts about bears to develop their understanding of the world.
- Fun PE opportunities to develop their physical skills.
- ‘The Three Bears Cottage’ role-play to devlop speaking, listening and social skills.
- Opportunities in the Art area to re-create bears and scenes from the stories.
How can you help?
- Please feel free to read any bear stories that you may have. Discuss what is happening in the story, introduce the idea of a beginning, middle and an end.
- Your child will bring home a reading book, which can be changed on a Monday, Wednesday and a Friday. Please listen to your child as often as possible and sign/leave a comment in the purple reading diary.
- Each time we learn a new sound, your child will bring the sound home on a sheet. Please ask them to teach it to you, they can tell you the name, sound, action and sing its song!
- Parents/Grandparents are invited to a teddy bears’ picnic at school during the end of the half term, please look out for your invitation!