Barnaby Bear's Adventure
What are we learning about?
During this topic, we will find out more about the culture of different countries. We will ‘fly’ to a different country each week and keep a diary to record our findings. We will ask the children which countries they would like to find out more about and we will use the internet, books and clips to answer any questions that the children may have.
Letters and Sounds Phase 2 with a focus on reading words and simple sentences. We will also begin Phase 3 where we will continue to learn new sounds.
Introduce Guided Reading sessions in order to take part in reading activities, particularly understanding the meaning of the books.
Continue to play reading and writing games and set out ‘Busy Bee’ challenges during MOOT.
Read and explore the text ‘We’re Going on a Lion Hunt’, which is set in Africa.
Continue to learn key and tricky words in our word pots.
Daily Math’s activities focusing on number recognition, ordering numbers and counting.
Addition and subtraction using objects and number lines for support.
Weighing and measuring food from around the world.
As well as developing the children’s English and Math’s skills, we will provide a range of other activities, such as:
- Learning facts about different countries to develop their understanding of the world.
- Learning to understand and respect differences and similarities between us all.
- Fun PE opportunities to develop physical skills, including sending and receiving games and dance movements based on the Chinese New Year dragons.
- An airport role-play to develop speaking, listening and social skills.
- Opportunities in the Art area to re-create art from around the world.
How can you help?
- Please can you let us know if you have any photos, objects or souvenirs from any country as we would love to share them with the class?
- Your child will bring home a reading book, which can be changed on a Monday, Wednesday and a Friday. Please listen to your child read as often as possible and sign/leave a comment in the purple reading diary.
- Please continue to help your child to learn to read and write their words in their pot, we will check their spellings each Thursday and new words will be sent home when ready.